Argentina is one of the biggest wine producers in the world, and Buenos Aires has a bustling food and drink scene, but until the past few years wine bars have not been a big thing here surprisingly. Luckily for Porteños and visitors to Buenos Aires this is quickly changing with many fantastic wine bars now open across the city to taste some local wine, a picada and relax. Here are some of our favorites!
- Vico – Located in Villa Crespo, just a few blocks from Palermo Soho, Vino is the place to go if you want to try a wide selection of Argentine wines from across the country. Vino has 140 wines available by the glass and some tasty small plate food options as well. Vico is the first wine bar in the country to use wine dispensing machines that properly store the bottles and allow you to self serve the wines you want. They have everything from value wines to 100 point wines.
- Bar du Marche – One of the pioneers in Buenos Aires wine bars, Bar du Marche has recently moved around the corner to a much larger space. They have an extensive wine list and most are available by the bottle and half bottle. The picadas, platters of cheeses, salamis and hams are among the best in the city and if you are hungry for sushi they have a hidden high-end sushi restaurant in the basement.
- Hache Almacén – If you are looking for a non-pretentious upbeat wine bar filled with locals, Hache is a great option. This small wine bar fills with young Porteños in the evenings as they enjoy bottles of reasonably priced Argentine wines and platters of cheeses and small appetizers.
- Ser y Tiempo – Ser y Tiempo, located in Palermo Hollywood, is a nice option if you want a relaxed a pre-dinner bottle of wine or relaxed dinner with some of their tapas. Similar to Hache it is fairly informal. Most weeks they have live music a few nights.
- La Malbequería – This wine bar is attached and run by the same people behind the parrilla Lo de Jesús. The bar located in a beautiful restored home and garden allows you to buy a bottle from their wine shop and order food (steak mainly) from the restaurant.
Besides these wine bars we always give our Buenos Aires dining guide to each of our clients on our food tours.